The Confluence Regional Writers Project was developed in 2018. Our goal is to further foster a regional culture of playwriting by providing support and inspiration to emerging playwrights in St. Louis and its radiating regions through a Playwriting Fellowship, an Emerging Playwrights Cohort, and new plays commissioned and developed by the Festival.
This program is specifically designed to give playwrights a chance to get feedback, collaboration, public readings of their new work and a dedicated space to develop their skills with others in the field.
Submissions for 2021 Emerging Playwright Cohort – NOW CLOSED.
The Festival will award three residencies to emerging playwrights who are residents of Missouri or Illinois for the third annual Confluence Writers Project.
Diversity is one of our leading values, in terms of race, gender identification, age, and relative physical ability.
Please note: In the past, this program has required monthly in-person writing and development sessions. We acknowledge that, due to COVID realities, this may not be possible in 2021. We are committed to the safety and health of our cohort members. Travel and in-person meetings will be optional, AND only occur under guidelines provided by health authorities. The inability or unwillingness to travel or meet in person will not exclude participation in the cohort.
As part of the program, Cohort members will:
- Participate in a weekend retreat near St. Louis, if deemed safe and desirable.
- Meet monthly, either teleconference or in-person for daylong writing sessions, workshops, and mentorship activities.
- Participate in a knowledge-sharing opportunity for students in our Shakespeare Squadron youth program during one masterclass workshop in Spring 2021.
- Complete a full-length play for a public reading in January of 2022 during the Confluence New Play Festival (Cohort playwrights must be available for at least five days during that time for rehearsal and performance of their work.)
- Receive a $3,000 stipend.
Contact Confluence Director Nancy Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org.